This article will walk you through step-by-step instructions that will allow you to track your Shopify site with Studiorific Analytics. Let's get started!
How to add the tracking code to Shopify
Step 1: Log into your Analytics account and head over to the "Websites" section
- You can conveniently access this page by clicking here: https://analytics.studiorific.com/websites.
- If you are not logged in, you'll have to first log in in order to proceed to this page. Once you open it, it should look like this:
Step 2: Click on "Add Website" to add your Shopify site (Skip this step if you have already added the site)
- Click on the Add Website button on the top right-hand corner of the page.
- Give your website a name (This is just for you to identify the website on Studiorific Analytics). The name is only shown to you and doesn't affect the name of your site on Shopify.
- Fill in the URL of your Shopify site (ex. petshopnyc.myshopify.com). If you are using a custom domain name on Shopify, please fill your custom domain URL in (ex: petshopnyc.com). Make sure that you do not add the http or https twice as we will automatically add that.
- Enable Track Visitors Events and Session Replays.
- Finally, click the Submit button.
Step 3: Copy the tracking code associated with the website that you have just added
- If Step 2 was completed successfully, your website would have been added and shown in the list of websites.
- Click on the Tracking Code button associated with the website you've just added.
- Copy that tracking code by clicking on Copy Pixel. This is the code that you will need to add to your Shopify site.
Step 4: Open your Shopify site's admin area
- If you are not logged into Shopify, you need to log in to access this area.
- Under Sales Channels, select the Online Store's Themes option for your site, as shown in the screenshot below:
Step 5: Click on "Actions" within the "Current Theme" and select "Edit Code"
Step 6: Find the file "theme.liquid" and click it
- Once you click on the file name, the right panel will show its content. If you are not familiar with coding, do not panic. We're here to help you!
- If you are unable to find the file, you may want to search for it by typing "theme.liquid" in the search bar within the upper left-hand side corner (shown below as well).
Step 6: Scroll down to the bottom of the theme.liquid file
- Scroll down until you reach the bottom of the file.
- Within the content of the right panel window, find the code that reads </body>.
Step 7: Paste the tracking code you copied in Step 3 right above </body>
- The tracking code should be pasted/placed before </body>.
- Once you paste it, it should look similar to the screenshot below.
- Click on the Save button in the upper right-hand side corner (highlighted below) to save your changes.
Step 8: Verify that the tracking code was installed successfully by going to Studiorific Analytics
- When the tracking code is installed successfully, you should be able to see information about your visitors in real time. Head over to https://analytics.studiorific.com/realtime.
- If your website doesn't have any visitors online, nothing will show on this page. To verify that your tracking code was installed, you can open a new tab with your Shopify website and go back to your Realtime page to verify that it's detecting you.
- If you are not seeing yourself on the Realtime page, you might have an adblocker installed. Disable the adblocker temporarily to verify that your tracking code was installed successfully.
- Furthermore, you may want to wait until real visitors land on your site to verify that the tracking code is installed.